Skip to main content

About us - Gimo herrgård

Magnificent manor in Uppland

Amidst the north Uppland forests, next to the glittering Gimo lake and neverending meadows, we welcome you to Sweden’s first Gustavian manor – family-run Gimo Herrgård.

Gimo Herrgård - where memories become history

Since the early 1990’s Gimo Herrgård has been managed by the Schneider family. Günter Schneider, born in DDR in 1946 and a trained chef and former chain operation director at Scandic Hotels transformed the manor from a political school to a four star hotel.

Today Mathias together with his brother Joachim runs the daily operations. A business school graduate Mathias is also a sommelier and holds a master’s degree in International Hospitality Management from SHMS in Switzerland and University of Derby, UK. Joachim is a trained chef from Stockholms Restaurangskola with experience from Grand Hôtel in Stockholm, Swedavia, NK and the Swedish try-outs for the Bocuse d’Or.

Our history

Gimo was founded in 1615 as a crown works, but after twelve years it was transferred through tenancy to Willem de Besche and Louis de Geer, who redeveloped the operation with the help of immigrating Walloons.

The de Geer family then became the owner of Gimo in five generations 1640 to 1756. At the end of the de Geer’s ownership Gimo iron-works was highly unprofitable. Furthermore, the de Geer family never lived in Gimo. The modest mansion building was instead during this time occupied by the works inspector.

The Gimo works was sold in 1756 to a successful trading company in Stockholm, Finlay-Jennings Co., which was owned by two immigrated Scotsmen, Robert Finlay and John Jennings. After a couple of years, 1761, Robert Finlay then became the sole owner of the works and he gave the architect Jean-Eric Rehn the assignment to design a whole new mansion building for Gimo. The 17th century modest buildings were going to be replaced by the 18th century bright, French inspired architecture.

The works changed owner again in 1764, it was sold to a director within the East Indian Trading company, Jean Henri Le Febure. Architect J-E. Rehn still continued and in 1767 he made a general plan for the whole Gimo iron-works, where he placed the inspector house at the end of the avenue and gave both the big and the small ponds it’s shaping. A French park was planned in front of the main building and a British park behind it. You can still get a feeling of the latter and its winding paths if you look closely and additionally there is also a rune stone preserved on the mansion property.

Jean le Febure-Lilienberg died in 1805. His widow Margaretha Charlotte Lilienberg then sold the works to one of her son in laws, Axel Didrik Reuterskiöld in 1806. Axel Didrik Reuterskiöld came to own the works until he died in 1834 when it was passed on to his son Carl Leonard. Carl Leonard Reuterskiöld was a very prolific man and during his almost 60 years of ownership he ran and developed not just the forging of the iron but also the agriculture and forestry by new farming and wooden ditches. In 1893 he founded Gimo Walloon Works AB. He died in 1905.

In 1940 Medborgarskolan was founded at Gimo Herrgård and during most of the latter parts of the 1900’s Gimo Herrgård was an educational center for future politicians. Due to the financial crisis of the early 1990’s the center went bankrupt and the manor was taken over by the Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, SEB.

Günter Schneider and Arne Gustafsson, Arne – one of the founders of today’s Scandic Hotel Chain, and Günter – born in DDR but moved to Sweden in the 1960’s to become a chef and later chain operations director at Scandic, were asked to run the manor for the bank and transformed it into a hotel. The pair reworked the concept and started an incredible journey with restorations, renovations and additions to the hotel. Did you know that the three most successful tournaments for the Swedish national mens’ team in football sine 1958 were all preceded by a pre-tournament camp at Gimo Herrgård – 1992, 1994 and 2004?

  • 1615

  • Gimo iron works are founded as a crown works. The iron ore came from the Dannemora mine.

  • 1643

  • Louis de Geer purchases and expands the iron works. The iron works belong to the de Beer family for five generations.

  • 1756

  • Trading company Finlay & Jennings purchases the iron works and hires royal architecht Jean Eric Rehn to erect a new manor.

  • 1767

  • Spiralling costs force Finlay and Jennings to sell the manor to Jean LeFebure-Lilienberg.

  • 1776

  • The US Declaration of Independence is signed.

  • 1789

  • The French Revolution begins.

  • 1806

  • The Reuterskiöld family takes over the iron works.

  • 1917

  • The iron ore prices plummet and the business becomes obsolete. The iron works close down.

  • 1935

  • Arvid Lindmans stiftelse buys the manor and Korsnäs buys the land and surrounding buildings.

  • 1940

  • Medborgarskolan is founded at Gimo Herrgård.

  • 1992

  • The business becomes bankrupt. Günter Schneider and Arne Gustafsson are hired by SEB to run the defaulted hotel.

  • 1995

  • Günter Schneider and Arne Gustafsson purchase the hotel.

  • 2003

  • Günter Schneider buys out his business partner Arne Gustafsson. The Schneider family still owns and runs the hotel.


"A good company delivers excellent products and services - A great company does all that and strives to make the world a better place"

Corporate Social Responsibility

Gimo Herrgård is a fantastic destination thanks to the environment we operate in and the people we work together with. Therefore we believe it is important to care for those and that we affect and are affected by. Gimo Herrgård should be a leading example when it comes to responsible business. Gimo Herrgård is a selected venue by Svenska Möten and certified by Svanen – the Nordic eco-label. To find out more information on what we do to ensure Gimo Herrgård is a responsible corporate citizen, please download our CSR-report here (Swedish only).